WaterJet CNC cutting machines are high pressure systems that offer a set of unique advantages over some of the other cutting systems available on the market today. First and foremost, WaterJet CNC machines are extremely versatile machining systems that possess the ability to cut virtually any material with both precision and power. The WaterJet’s combination of water and abrasive works on a variety of materials that cannot be cut with other more conventional types of CNC machining systems. Glass and stone are two great examples of difficult materials that only WaterJets can cut; however, they are not limited to only these two materials; stainless steel, aluminum, and foam are a few examples of materials that WaterJets can cut with the same accuracy and precision as its Plasma and Router machining counterparts.
For a complete list of materials that WaterJet machines can cut click the MultiCam Material Matrix to see this vast list. The versatility in cutting materials is undoubtedly the Waterjets biggest advantage and when combined with several other benefits it is not hard to see why many people are opting for this incredible technology:
- Quick Setup Time: In the WaterJet machining process, a flat piece of material is placed on a table and the cutting head will maneuver around it. The simplicity in this process allows for timely material changing with relative ease. Also, all materials use the same cutting head eliminating the need to program tool changes.
- Low Heat Generation – The low heat that is generated is absorbed by the water carried into the tank. Conveniently, the materials being cut experience small temperature change, with many being cut at room temperature.
- Thick Material Cutting – Common for WaterJet machines to cut steel up to 4” (10cm) thick.
- No mechanical stresses – WaterJet machines do not introduce any stresses into the materials it cuts.
- Safe Cutting Process – Often leaks in high pressure water systems lead to a rapid drop in pressure to safer levels. Water is safe and non-explosive and the abrasive is inert and non-toxic.
- Easy to Learn Systems – User friendly computer interfaces made for WaterJets make controlling the cutting process relatively simple.
- Environmentally Friendly – Unless you happen to be cutting any hazardous materials, the WaterJet machining process is environmentally friendly. In most areas water can be drained into the sewer. MultiCam WaterJet machines offer the choice for a closed loop water system, useful companies looking to place a considerable emphasis on environmental consciousness.
- Narrow Kerf – Amount of material removed by the WaterJet stream is typically 0.02”(0.5mm) allowing for pin point accuracy which is a huge benefit when cutting expensive materials like titanium. This also means you get more parts from any given sheet of material.
These are just a few of the significant advantages of employing a WaterJet system. MultiCam offers a complete line of WaterJet systems that boast the features listed above as well as many more. MultiCam V, 3000, and 6000 Series WaterJets combined with KMT high pressure waterjet intensifiers provide the most complete CNC cutting solution on the market.